The Cornelian Associate Society
The Pleasure and Promise of Charitable Bequests
Adding a gift for Rosemont to your will or retirement plan is a simple act with impressive
consequences. The College’s largest gift in its history, to date, was a bequest of
$5.3 million from a friend of the College. However, bequests still qualify as something
of a best-kept secret. Few people realize their impact on Rosemont College.
Here are two points we would like you to consider:
- This is major philanthropy almost anyone can do!
- Not including the College’s largest gift, the generosity of twenty-two donors just like you, has totaled nearly $2.5 million in gifts to Rosemont over the past 5 years. The average bequest size was $109,260. The smallest bequests were in the range of $400 - $10,000 and the largest were over a half-million.
If you plan for a future gift to Rosemont College, we’d like to honor you with membership
in a very special group, the Cornelian Associates. How do you join? It’s a one-step
process: just let us know about your charitable bequest. Then the fun begins.
We like to thank our donors personally, so we hold special events. As a Cornelian Associate, you’re always invited. You’ll learn new things and meet interesting people, including others who feel the same way about the College and its future.
We also celebrate your decision to make a gift in your will by including your name in every Campaign listing and on our website. Of course, if you prefer to join the Cornelian Associates and remain anonymous, that’s fine, too. You’ll still be invited to everything, and you’ll receive all our updates; but your name will not be mentioned in print or online.
Yes. Nothing could be simpler. A short phone call to your lawyer does the job.
A surprising number of people – even those with substantial assets – never get around
to this essential task.
When a person dies without a will, the law determines how to divide up the assets in the estate. With a will, you assert full control: your written wishes dictate exactly how and to whom your assets will be distributed.
If you don’t have a will yet and would like a referral to a qualified estate attorney in your community, Rosemont may be able to help. We’ve worked with many lawyers. Just give us a call at 610-527-0200 xt. 2216.
While you can name a specific dollar amount in your will you can also arrange to leave a percentage of your estate’s value or the residual of your estate after other gifts are made. We welcome gifts of any size.
No. You have several options in addition to cash:
- Physical assets such as a home
- Financial investments such as stocks, bonds, or certificates of deposit
- A life insurance policy or retirement plan. You can arrange for this type of gift by making Rosemont College your beneficiary.
The Board of Trustees of Rosemont College recently approved a Gift Acceptance Policy
that allows the College to give recognition and credit to donors for bequests or other
planned gifts. By doing so, Rosemont will be able to include your name in listings
of donors for Reflect | Renew | Rejoice: The Campaign for Rosemont College regardless of when your bequest was originally made, if that is your preference.
In order for credit and recognition to be given by the College, appropriate documentation must be provided to Rosemont College.
Documentation must include the following:
- The commitment should specify an amount to be distributed to the organization or, if a percentage of the estate or a trust, specify a credible estimate of the value of the estate at the time the commitment is made.
- Date of birth of the donor.
- Verification of the commitment through one of the following forms:
a. A letter or agreement from the donor or donor’s advisor affirming the commitment.
b. Copy of will. (The only portion necessary is that which includes Rosemont College.)
c. Notification form, signed by donor or advisor.
If you have questions or need more information, please contact Rennie H. Andrews, Assistant Vice President for the Campaign for Rosemont College, at 610-527-0200 xt. 2952 or email@example.com.