Rosemont College undergraduate students are invited to submit essays exploring ethical issues in immigration. A $300 cash prize will be awarded to the author of the winning submission.
Download all the information by
Essays must address moral considerations relevant to debates about migration and immigration. Possible topics include, but are not limited to:
- The complexities of migration and immigration and how they bear on ethical considerations
- The impact of migration and immigration on sending, transit, and receiving countries
- The ethical obligations of countries to receive migrants and immigrants
- The use of immigration as a political tool, whether to denounce human suffering or to promote national security, in order to gain political capital
- Impact of global economic and environmental interdependence on migration
- All undergraduate students at Rosemont College registered during the spring semester in which the competition is held are eligible, including those who will be studying abroad.
- Submissions must be between 2,000 and 2,500 words (approximately 8-10 double-spaced pages.
- Submissions must be typed in 12-point font, double-spaced with 1” margins, and numbered pages. Title and reference pages are not included in the numbering.
- The title page must include only the essay title. The author’s name should not appear anywhere in the essay.
- Submissions must include a reference page and proper in-text source documentation (MLA, APA, or Chicago styles).
- Submissions derived from current or past coursework are acceptable as long as they are approved by the faculty member for whom the work was originally submitted. It is the student’s responsibility to obtain and document the faculty member’s approval of the submission.
- Students are to submit their papers to Dr. Alan A. Preti by March 23, 2018 via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. No late submissions will be accepted.
- For additional information, contact Dr. Alan A. Preti, co-director, Institute for Ethical Leadership and Social Responsibility at email@example.com or 610-527-0200 ext. 2345